Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Finding new art in "Yesterday"

Hi friends...
"Re-purpose" I see this word everywhere.  Really it's just another phrase for turning something old into something new.  Crafters and sewers, have been doing this for years, (I know I am one of them), but now there is a trendy name for it! 

Recently on a trip to New York City, my son and I were shopping in Tribeca and Soho. Making our way though all the  boutiques and shops,  we came across these wonderful reverse image posters with graphic images of New York City landmarks. What really caught my eye though was that they were printed on, New York City maps. I couldn't think of a better background for these images, and what a wonderful way to re-purpose old maps.  With today's GPS navigation devices & cell phones, who really uses maps? I am sure we all have them lying around the house somewhere.  Now I certainly don't have the artistic skills to paint a city scene, but I would try using a map from a vacation as a background on a canvas and then add pictures from the trip, or add the map to scrap book, and journal pages.  Here is the poster we purchased, we don't have an apartment yet, but we have artwork!
Here is a re-purposed project of mine.

  I had this old white plastic mannequin that really had seen better days. Having been tossed around art fairs, and the knit shop for a few years, she was REALLY showing her age. Equipped with some "Matte Medium" from a recent art class and some old sewing pattern pieces, I began ripping and gluing, before I knew it my girl had a face lift, and proudly sits in my sewing room!

Have you re-purposed anything? I'd love to see it, leave a comment or share a photo.
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share a comment....